Saturday 23 April 2016

Starting Out

I feel like the new kid at school. Everyone here knows each other already, and here I am, awkwardly trying to show my best side so everyone likes me.
Home for me is a small town in rural New Zealand, with my husband and two small boys. I love to make things, be it  wrapping on a pinny to do some cooking or browsing Ravelry for projects to start with my yarn, and when I’m not running around after everyone, I’m watching Netflix into the wee hours with my crochet hook for company.
Four years ago this month, while pregnant with my first child, I visited our local library, planning to bring home a book that would help me learn something new. The book I came home with was “The Ultimate Crochet Bible” by Jane Crow, and it started off a whole new passion. My first ever project was a rather scraggly looking granny square throw, which I never used, but it gave me a good basic understanding of the simplicity and versatility of crochet.
Fast forward to 2016. I have two energetic boys (‘Irish twins’ aged two and three), a wardrobe full of balls of yarn, four pinnies and a shoebox full of knitting needles and crochet hooks.
I've been learning how to write patterns, and I have had so much joy making items from patterns generously shared on Ravelry and blogs, so I feel the best way to pay that forward is to make some of my own patterns available through this blog.  Pattern writing is still new to me, so please let me know if any of my patterns are confusing or have errors. 
My challenge this winter is to improve my knitting skills – while I learnt to knit at primary school, I haven’t picked up needles for years and I struggle with anything more complicated than a peggy square. First up, socks! Next step: YouTubing “casting on methods.”
I might be a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment