Saturday 14 May 2016

The WI Craft Day

 So, this week I was asked to help out at our local WI Craft Day fundraiser. Now, I'm don't belong to a WI, but I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should join!

We held an open day with all sorts of crafts on display that people could try their hand at. I was assigned the task of demonstrating the art of crochet.  Not sure where to start, (or even if I know enough to teach someone else!), I started where I always do. With a list. 

Things I love about crochet


  • You can make gifts with little more than with love and time
  • It’s quick, Once you get in the rhythm of making something, it’s easy to churn out a small project like a beanie in an evening or two.
  • If you’re stuck, I guarantee someone on You Tube has made a video to show you how do it.
  • It’s portable! I always have a ball of wool, a hook, and a project on the go in my handbag. You can easily take your crochet to coffee with a friend.  It helps you meet new friends!
  • Even the most ambitious projects can be broken down into easily achievable chunks
Sorry, I searched but couldn't find the original location to give credit where it's due. Great pants, by the way.
I've been tagged in various
versions of this image at least
5 times in the last 2 months.
Thing is, it's right.

Things I don’t love about crochet


  • My friends and family now tag me in any picture of outrageous 70’s crochet they find on Facebook. 
  • The terms can get confusing. US and UK terms can use different names for the same stitches – they both have “Double Crochet” as a basic stitch, but they’re not the same! Look for confirmation of the terminology used before you start any new pattern.
  • Traditional patterns published in NZ use UK terminology, however with the advent of the Internet to as a way to share patterns, the US terms are becoming more prevalent.  



And then I learnt that teaching isn't as easy as I thought....

I'd planned to show anyone interested how to make a simple crochet flower. Turns out, it's been a while since I was a complete crochet beginner, and I underestimated how difficult learning a new technique or stitch could be. Most of the ladies I talked to could knit, and found the hardest part of crochet was holding the yarn in their left hands rather than their right. 

I feel like I should be the one learning, not teaching! Rose is a master knitter, who learnt
to knit 80 years ago 
on 8 inch nails. And I'm showing her how to crochet.
The high light of my day, however, was a lovely lady called Rose, who spent about 2 hours with me, learning how to 'join as you go'. At 84, Rose is a master knitter, and was looking for ideas to use up the scrap wool left over from knitting projects. Granny square and granny circles blankets - like the one on the table - are a great way to use up little bits of scrap wool, otherwise known as "stash busting".

This big glass biscuit jar is home to all my scrap balls of yarn.

Other ways to use up scrap yarn - Flowers!

Stitches used
Ch       Chain stitch
SS        Slip Stitch
SC       Single Crochet
DC      Double Crochet
Terminology:   US
Skill level:         Beginner/Easy
Yarn Type:      Any scraps you have to hand
Hook size:       Whatever takes your fancy.

Simple Six Petal Flower

Foundation Chain:     Chain 6, join in a ring with a slip stitch.
Round 1:                    Chain 1 then SC 12 in the ring, slip stitch.
Round 2:                    Work *3DC in the next stitch, then SS in the following stitch*. Repeat * to * until you have 6 petals, Join with a SS to cut yarn and weave in ends. 





Gerbera Daisy Flower

Foundation Chain:    Make a magic circle, join into a  circle with a slip stitch. Pull tail to draw in centre.
Round 1:                   Chain 1, then SC 8 times into the ring. Join with a SS. (8 SC stitches)
Round 2:                   Change Colour. *Chain 10. SS in 2nd Ch from hook.  1 SC in each of the next 3 ch spaces, 1 DC in each of the next 2 chain spaces, 1 SC in next, then SS into the centre ring, in the stitch your Ch10 starts from. SC into next stitch in centre ring.* (one petal finished). Repeat * to * until you have 8 petals. Join with a SS to the base of your first Ch10, weave in ends.




No comments:

Post a Comment